Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Next Generation of Video Games

The time that I've been dreading for close to three years now is finally upon us. The next generation of video games. With the Wii U having been released late in 2012 and Sony and Microsoft each having their own conferences for their upcoming systems (Microsoft's having occurred just yesterday), it won't be long before we're in the eighth generation of home consoles. It was inevitable, but I was hoping for longer. The systems that are out now haven't even reached their full potential.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by first pointing out that I've been a home console gamer my whole life. It's what I prefer to do. I like to have the controller in my hands. Not to mention that I've really never had a computer that had the capabilities to do the kind of intensive gaming that I like to do. That's why it pains me to say that I'm not looking forward to the next generation. Not one bit. In fact, it's got me so disillusioned that I'm considering dropping home consoles altogether, save for the ones that I already have, and switching to PC gaming. There are some exceptions and some rays of hope, but I'll get to that.

Why am I not looking forward to the next generation? In a general sense, I'm going to tell you that it has to do with diminished returns and increased cost. Consider this: I purchased my PS3 and my 360 at a combined cost of approximately $600 without tax. What do you think the systems are going to cost come the next generation? I have no basis in fact, but I'd say that $600 each is a reasonable amount to assume they'll charge. If I were planning to get both next-generation consoles not put up by Nintendo, that would cost $1200. Do you know what I could get for that money, as far as a gaming PC is concerned? It would be pretty damn good.

Not only is the cost exorbitant, but you get a smaller increase in quality between generations. If you're not sure what I mean, let me explain. Take the original PlayStation and compare it to the PlayStation 2. The difference in quality was quite large. Now take the PlayStation 2 and compare it to the PlayStation 3. The difference in quality was definitely noticeable, but it was not as large a jump from the PS1 to the PS2. And now, from the PS3 to the PS4, the difference is even smaller. I'm not saying that the graphics aren't fantastic, but the jump is not near the same as previous generations.

For the next parts, I'll be doing a slight review of my preliminary feelings of each company's (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft) eighth-generation.

I'll start with Nintendo. I really really really dislike Nintendo for the most part. Their thing seems to be releasing another stupid gimmick with each generation, and this one is no different. Even though I considered purchasing it (only briefly), it's just a mess. I absolutely hated the Wii's gimmick. It's motion controls. It gave birth to the below-average Kinect and Move released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, respectively. Now the Wii U has that ridiculous gamepad with the second screen. No thanks. Sure, change is nice, but some consistency is nice too. When was the last time two Nintendo systems in consecutive generations had a controller that was at least somewhat similar to the other? Oh, and what games does the Wii U have that's worth getting the system for? Now, as much as I dislike what Nintendo does, they haven't really done anything completely worth of my outright rage.

In my opinion, Sony has done the best so far and they have an enormous advantage heading into the console war with Microsoft (Nintendo is a completely different demographic that it's hard to really consider them in competition, if you ask me.). At their conference, they featured games. They unveiled an updated controller. It was nothing to write home about, but it wasn't terrible, overall.

Now we get to Microsoft. What a disaster. First off, their soon-to-be system has an awful name. Awful awful. Xbox One. How in the hell is that the name? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who called the original Microsoft home console the Xbox 1, much in the same vein that the original PlayStation was PlayStation 1 after the PS2 came out. And where were the games? The Xbox One was advertised as a sort of all-in-one system. Obviously, they're trying to broaden their audience, but that just feels like they're pandering to the lowest common denominator. A cheap tactic to try and outsell the PS4.

That's not the worst of it. Far from it. The all-in-one system is not anything worth total condemnation. What does earn the Xbox One condemnation, in my opinion, are some of its new features. Rumors are going around that you have to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours to play it. Not everyone has an internet connection. To outright keep it from working is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.

But, worse than that, is the idea that you have to download each game to your system. This causes each individual game to be "connected" to your system. What's more, it means that if anyone were to try and play the same game with the same disc on a different system, they have to pay a fee. If you're anything like me; if you're a passionate gamer, or you care about people getting screwed over, this makes you angry. This idea would put a serious damper on the used game sales. You couldn't let your friends borrow your games without them paying a fee. And what about video game rental services like GameFly? Your guess is as good as mine.

Possibly, even worse than that are all the complacent suck ups who applaud what Microsoft is doing. This says to them that people approve of their abysmal business practices and, in fact, endorse it. "Oh, Microsoft, you're so great." "Oh, Microsoft, what a genius idea." "Oh, Microsoft, we should be more like you." With absolutely zero thought for the consumers. More or less, they're high-fiving each other for fucking people over.

If what I've seen and heard are true and continue to be true up until the PS4 and the Xbox One are released, I will not be purchasing an Xbox One. I may not even purchase a PS4, simply due to the price, and I may move on to PC gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment